Re: JSON-Glib (was: New module proposal: Clutter core)

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 16:38 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:50 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> >   • JSON-GLib (which should be added to the external dependencies)
>
> Just to be curious, why not propose JSON-Glib.

because, as much as it's used by various projects, it's not *hugely*
used. I'd rather have it as a blessed external dependency when Clutter
becomes part of the desktop/extended platform moduleset.

>  It seems with all of the
> Javascript going into GNOME 3 it would make sense to have a blessed way
> to read JSON would be a really good idea...

JavaScript and JSON are fairly different projects. JSON is just a data
interchange format, much like XML. for some XML users in the GNOME
project I'd even suggest to switch to JSON to drop the libxml2
dependency for a (much) smaller library; but then again, GLib has
GMarkup for dealing with XML as a data storage.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name