New module proposal: Clutter core

hi everyone;

just like last year, I'm proposing Clutter core as part of the desktop
platform - or, pending the new modulesets proposal from the
release-team, to the "extended platform".

Clutter has been following the GNOME schedule for the past two minor
cycles (1.2 and 1.4), and will do so for the 1.6 cycle as well.

Clutter currently depends on:

  • GLib and GObject
  • Cairo
  • GdkPixbuf
  • Pango
  • JSON-GLib (which should be added to the external dependencies)

Clutter is used by:

  • Mutter/GNOME Shell
  • GNOME Games
  • Cheese

and other projects in the desktop moduleset.

the big blocking issue of last year has been resolved: Clutter does not
have a copyright assignment any more.

Clutter is still hosted on a separate server because the Clutter Project
wants to be an umbrella for a set of projects, like language bindings,
toolkits, and applications that may or may not be related to the GNOME
Project. we're fairly liberal with giving people access to the
repository, and we have infrastructure in place for user repositories
for contributors. the Bugzilla instance is still in place because
Clutter is used in non-GNOME projects that might need restricted access.

hopefully, neither issue (Git repository and Bugzilla) are going to be a
blocker, given the feedback from the release-team and d-d-l last year.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name