Re: external dependency review for 2.91

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 22:44 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> For some things, I'm not quite sure:
>>
>> clutter - bump minimal version to 1.4 ? (gnome-shell claims to need 1.2.8)
>
> I'd actually want to propose Clutter as part of the desktop modules -
> but I've been waiting for the r-t to propose the new platform layout for
> GNOME 3.0.
>
> GNOME Shell switched to track Clutter master before the 1.4 release, and
> we should be able to maintain master stable enough for the Shell team to
> keep using it without much pain. ideally, Shell for GNOME 3.0 should use
> Clutter 1.6, which will be released next April.

Ok, sounds good. I've bumped the minimal clutter version to 1.4 for now.

>> clutter-gtk - ?
>
> the current stable version is clutter-gtk 0.10; GNOME 2.91/3.0 should
> switch to master, though, as it's the branch that tracks gtk+ 3.0 and
> Clutter master.

We prefer our external dependencies to be stable tarballs, so this
possibly implies pulling clutter-gtk into the desktop moduleset. What
modules are using clutter-gtk, currently ?

>> clutter-gst - ?
>
> if you bump Clutter to 1.4 then you'll have to require clutter-gst 1.3.

Ok, done.

> btw, Clutter depends on json-glib -- which then should become either a
> desktop library or an external dependency.

Ok, we already list json-glib as a dep-dep on the external dependency list.