Re: Versioned symbols for 3.0?
- From: Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org>
- To: Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>
- Cc: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad esfahbod gmail com>, desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, Colin Walters <walters verbum org>
- Subject: Re: Versioned symbols for 3.0?
- Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 20:30:04 +0200
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Behdad Esfahbod
> <behdad esfahbod gmail com> wrote:
>> If we autogenerate the version script, I think Matthias can be bribed into
>> accepting it
> Well, the arguments against symbol versioning have not really changed
> since ca 2005, so we do we need to discuss this again ?
Please kindly point me to a list of arguments as I was not a
participant in that discussion.
> - It doesn't really work the same way on any other platform
AFAIK it works on Linux, (Open)Solaris, and various BSDs. It's not
supported on Windows but that doesn't stop it from being useful to
> - It can only version functions, we still have have unversioned types,
> properties, signals, etc, etc.
It's only able to version exported symbols and I wouldn't ask for
anything more than that. I didn't mean to propose dropping the API
documentation, just making our lives a little easier.
] [Thread Prev