Re: Module proposal: Mutter

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 10:39 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> On 30/03/10 07:17 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >   Mutter packages exist for most major Linux distributions as part of
> >   packaging GNOME Shell. Mutter is also key component of the Moblin 2.0
> >   and 2.1 releases.
>
> With the uncertain future of Moblin, is this appropriate?
>
> Will Meego continue with Mutter? What is the relation of Meego going
> forward and GTK; is Meego going to turn into a large multi-toolkit monster?

MeeGo for Netbooks 1.0 will definitely ship (and develop) Mutter and
Clutter, and it is going to do so for the foreseeable future releases of
MeeGo for Netbooks.

Mutter is maintained on git.gnome.org, and under the governance of
members of the GNOME community, so MeeGo has no direct influence on
Mutter - not any more than MeeGo has influence on, say, Nautilus[0].

as a side, I'm personally trying to get Clutter's governance and
contributions more open, and resolve the contributors agreement issue
that has been raised by the Foundation; I might have an announcement on
this regard soon.

> Not that my opinion matters, but I think these are all good questions.

I agree, that's why I wanted to give an authoritative answer with my
MeeGo developer/Intel employee hat on.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

[0] just like with Nautilus, MeeGo ships Mutter with
distribution-specific patches, especially considering the fairly
different user experience we're trying to convey. whenever it makes
sense, we upstream those patches as soon as we possibly can.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi