Re: Reminder : do NOT hardcode deprecation flags in tarball / new tarballs NEEDED

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 19:05 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Since I'm the release team member taking care of 2.29.92 release, I'm
> going to rant again against modules which are hardcoding deprecation
> flags in their configure.in (or Makefile.am), even when building from
> tarballs. Please, avoid that, it is killing us, since many released
> modules are not building with latest gtk+ 2.19.7 (new deprecated added).
> If you want to use deprecation flags, check in configure.in if you are
> in a git checkout and enable them in that case, but do not enable them
> by default in tarballs.

In the gtkmm world, thanks to Daniel Elstner, we have long had a
configure.ac macro that uses the autotools idea of maintainer-mode, so
we can use certain build options when using autogen.sh or when doing
distcheck, without affecting tarballs builds.

The latest version is the MM_ARG_ENABLE_WARNINGS() macro, which is used
in this example project:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/mm-common/tree/skeletonmm/configure.ac#n55

It has some documentation here:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/mm-common/tree/macros/mm-warnings.m4#n35

In Glom I use the older DK_ARG_ENABLE_WARNINGS() macro and you can see
where I've mentioned deprecations:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/glom/tree/configure.ac#n189

I've seen some talk of putting this in gnome-common, which seems like a
good idea.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com