Re: Platform for Developer Documentation

2010/3/7 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working on what to include in the Platform Overview.
> This affects what gets focused on in the introductions
> and howtos in my developer documentation plan:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Planning/DeveloperDocs
>
> I've tried starting this discussion before, but haven't
> gotten a lot of response.  So rather than ask, I'm going
> to propose a list of technologies and see if there are
> any objections.
>
> I'm taking the "big tent" approach.  If we're using it,
> and it's not something we consider to be a system library,
> then it's in.  I don't care if it's in the platform, the
> desktop, or the external dependencies.  I want to present
> third-party developers with the most complete development
> platform possible.
>
> I also want to focus on developer tools.  They should be
> featured heavily when we talk about how to develop for
> Gnome.
>
> Enough yakking.  Libraries I'm going to push:
>
> * GTK+
> * GLib (+ GObject, GIO, GSettings)
> * Pango
> * Cairo
> * ATK
> * AT-SPI
> * Clutter
> * PackageKit
> * Tracker
> * Telepathy
> * Evolution Data Server
> * Gnome Keyring
> * GStreamer
> * WebKitGTK+
> * Soup
> * Avahi
> * DBus
> * DeviceKit-disks

This is now udisks

> * DeviceKit-power

This is now upower

> * Canberra
> * PolicyKit
> * PulseAudio

What about:
 - libgda [1] to access databases
 - libgee [2] as a collection library.

Also, I think would be great mention some of the available libraries
to interact with the WEB [3]

> Developer tools I'll be pushing:
>
> * Anjuta
> * Devhelp
> * Glade
> * Accerciser
> * Nemiver

I think talk about parasite [4] (It's like firebug but for GTK+
applications) would be a good idea

Regards,

[1] http://www.gnome-db.org/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Libgee