Re: Modulesets Reorganization

On Mi, 2010-06-02 at 10:29 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:

> > > And this might do the exact opposite of what we all want it to do.
> > > Instead of sending a "you are now all equal" message it might
> > > communicate that "you are now equally not worthy". Or just "you are
> > > now on the same level" even if the level of integration and sheer
> > > polish is nowhere to be compared.
> > >
> > > It will also kill the "magic moment" I experienced twice - once when I
> > > helped Daniel with Cheese and a second time when hacking on Hasmter
> > > with Toms. The moment that comes after weeks of mad hacking when you
> > > decide your work is finally good enough to become part of GNOME.
>
> What if suddenly cheese gets promoted on the www.gnome.org frontpage? Or
> it's one highlight of the release notes for GNOME X.Y? Wouldn't this be
> a similar magic moment? And yes, we should do this for the great
> applications.

this wouldnt be the same: we, and probably all desktop modules, worked
very hard to accomplish all the features and requirements of the gnome
inclusion. it then makes people proud when a module gets *officially*
accepted and included in the gnome module set.

promotion of apps can be done right now, without "kicking out desktop
applications".

to be honest: when i install a gnome application like tomboy, gedit,
cheese, ... i _know_ that this module is a good piece of software, as it
is a gnome module. this is not the case with other apps you can find on
the net, even if they base on gtk/gnome.

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gnome org>