Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries andpluginsto use gtk3

On 07/01/2010 04:15 AM, Steve Frécinaux wrote:
> VERSION=2.22.5
> LAST_INTERFACE_CHANGE=2.22.0
> LAST_INTERFACE_BREAK=2.20.0

I like this (though I think you'll need a few more variables to make
this be able to pick up where the version numbers from the previous
system left off).

On 06/30/2010 11:25 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> True, my proposal assumes that:
>
>   - ABI is never broken unless major version is bumped.  This is a strict
> requirement for all Platform libraries as well as many libraries we externally
> depend on.  Maybe not true for some Desktop libraries, but they were not the
> ones I was aiming for.

As the maintainer of a library in the Desktop set who routinely fails to
update the libtool versioning variables, I'd much prefer something that
makes fewer assumptions and works for Desktop libraries too. Eg:

>   - No API is added during minor releases.

I know it's naughty, but I do this all the time in libsoup if it lets
someone fix an annoying bug in some higher-up-the-stack package (usually
epiphany).

-- Dan