Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries andpluginsto use gtk3
- From: Dan Winship <danw gnome org>
- To: Steve Frécinaux <nudrema gmail com>
- Cc: "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries andpluginsto use gtk3
- Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:58:09 -0400
On 07/01/2010 04:15 AM, Steve Frécinaux wrote:
I like this (though I think you'll need a few more variables to make
this be able to pick up where the version numbers from the previous
system left off).
On 06/30/2010 11:25 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> True, my proposal assumes that:
> - ABI is never broken unless major version is bumped. This is a strict
> requirement for all Platform libraries as well as many libraries we externally
> depend on. Maybe not true for some Desktop libraries, but they were not the
> ones I was aiming for.
As the maintainer of a library in the Desktop set who routinely fails to
update the libtool versioning variables, I'd much prefer something that
makes fewer assumptions and works for Desktop libraries too. Eg:
> - No API is added during minor releases.
I know it's naughty, but I do this all the time in libsoup if it lets
someone fix an annoying bug in some higher-up-the-stack package (usually
] [Thread Prev