Re: Minimum system requirements for GNOME Shell

On Fri, 2010-12-24 at 23:30 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
[...]
> if you want comparisons, you should be looking at how compiz and kwin
> perform on the same architecture, and see if mutter/gnome-shell are
> lagging behind. there is no reason why they should, and we recently
> tested mutter with its default clutter-based compositor plugin and
> verified that it beats (or performs as well as) compiz on the same
> machine with intel GPU.

In the context of Nirbheek's post, that comparison is meaningless. The
point is to figure out the impact on the the rather large number of
people going from a setup where 3D perf was a non-issue to one where it
suddenly is.

Which is why it makes sense, as we're getting close to a GNOME 3
release, to draw the line /somewhere/ saying "if you have at least this
kind of hardware, you will have a smooth experience with GNOME 3 / GNOME
Shell". Summarising your post an Johannes', we could probably document
this as:

"""
Any Intel integrated graphics card ≥ i915/945 or ATI/NVidia GPU from a
similar period. With NVidia chips, you will need to use NVidia's
proprietary drivers. <fill in information about ATI here>.
"""

Cheers,
Arun