Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Hi Dave!

> Do you have any figures on what percentage of Linux users will have the
> 3D capabilities necessary? Just wondering.

Do you have statistics about what hardware people use with Linux? Than
it is easy to find out. But all newer (< 5 years) Intel, AMD/ATI and
NVidia chips work so that should make a big percentage on the market.

>   * Mac Mini PPC, running a quite old Ubuntu (no 3D)

Don't think there is 3d on ppc.

>   * Samsung NC20 (Integrated on board Via graphics chip - no 3D - got
> this to run Moblin, didn't work, currently running Ubuntu 9.10)

I don't think VIA has decent 3d drivers but I might be wrong.

>   * Dell Latitude D420 (Intel graphics, should work, but 3D stuff runs
> really slowly, currently running Ubuntu 9.10)

Intel graphics works fast enough for the shell.

>   * Dell Optiplex 360 (ATI chip, no 3D)

According to google this has ATI Radion HD2/3xxx with works with radeon
drivers.

>   * Dell Latitude E6500 (Intel chip again, 3D works fine, running Ubuntu
> 10.04)

ok.

>   * Lenovo Ideapad, running MeeGo 1.1 (3D fine)

ok.

> I would like to be able to upgrade a distro some time in the next few
> years on at least some of these (the Mac Mini & D420 are close to
> retirement, but the Optiplex will live on, as will the netbooks), and I
> would like to be sure that the desktop of my choice will provide a
> reasonable level of functionality.

So you are lucky that all of your devices that don't retire will support
GNOME Shell.

Regards,
Johannes