Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Excerpts from Frederic Peters's message of jue dic 23 10:22:40 +0100 2010:
> Hi,
>
> Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> > I am confused, what's the story with gnome-panel and gnome-applets in
> > 3.0? Are they in, are they out? If gnome 3 is to support gnome2 compat
> > mode, both of these components should stay in for some while, right?
> > Currently, the situation in in jhbuild is very strange: gnome-panel is
> > still there, gnome-applets are gone. Is this planned? Who'd need the
> > panel without the applets?
>
> I pointed this after the new modulesets were pushed, you can read the
> answer Jon gave here:
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2010-December/msg00004.html
>
> The relevant part:

> | RIP.  Essential applets should be part of gnome-panel itself.  It
> | doesn't make sense to have applets only in the gnome 2 fallback
> | experience.

I disagree. If I run gnome-session with the classic mode I expect to
see exactly what I have right now, with all the applets. The
definition of essential applet is probably different for every user.
GNOME 2 fallback experience should be gnome-panel, metacity and
gnome-applets.

Regards,
--
Carlos Garcia Campos