Who exactly are the freezes for primarily: upstream or downstream?

Hey all.

I have what feels like a silly question, but that's never stopped me
before. ;-)

Tomorrow, for instance, is UI Freeze. Tomorrow is also when the 2.31.90
tarballs are due. Should I interpret this to mean our last-minute UI
changes need to be included the tarball I create because that is what
downstream expects? Or does it simply mean tarballs are due and btw
freeze is here, i.e. so that our upstream doc and i18n teams have
sufficient time to do their jobs?

Thanks in advance!
--joanie