Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 20:42 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> 2010/8/1 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
> >> +1 !!!!
> >>
> >> I don't get why people is getting so upset about the delay,
> >
> > Probably because the "people" either support GNOME for a distribution,
> > or maintain loads of modules in the GNOME release set. Or both.
>
> That doesn't really answer the question, I'm not assuming that
> maintainer's job is piece of cake.

Right.

> My question is, why does releasing 2.30 + backporting critical
> bugfixes not cut it for 2.32? It is a lot of less work than trying to
> release a hybrid version of apps that are in the middle of being 3.0
> and 2.x

Vincent already mentioned the 3 possibilities of actions that
application developers can take.

For apps that already support GTK2 and GTK3, they'll probably release
what they have as 2.32.

For apps that are well into GTK3 porting, it'll be 2.30 + bug fixes.

If you've done neither, you'll release what you have for 2.32, and start
working on GTK3 support (and the rest of the GNOME3 TODO list) now-ish.

Just a mention as well for the "backporting critical bugfixes" you
mentioned. You should already have done that for 2.30. We have bug fix
releases about once a month for stable 2.30 modules.