Re: Request for removing clutter in current form

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 07:43 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 08:03 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > Le dimanche 16 août 2009 à 23:55 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
> > > the majority of GPUs, nowadays, work fine on
> > > Linux with open source drivers[1], and provide the basic functionality
> > > that Clutter requires[2].
> >
> > Except for some Intel cards, that's not true by a long shot. Only very
> > old ATI cards are supported, you can't buy a card retail (current radeon
> > HD4000 or even HD3000 or HD2000) that works in a current distribution or
> > even in the next batch of distribs (they are in alpha state already and
> > the drivers don't exist yet). NVIDIA are of course not supported at all
> > by OSS drivers (nouveau is progressing slowly).
> >
> > Things are changing, but it'll be something like a full year before
> > end-users see all working on their desktop for ATi cards and more for
> > NVIDIA.
>
> so you're saying that only old GPUs work, and Maciej is saying that old
> GPUs do not work.
>
> it would be interesting to have a single place where the hardware
> support matrix was stored -- maybe on live.gnome.org or on
> freedesktop.org's wiki -- and updated.
>
> ciao,
>  Emmanuele.

I talked with the people from #radeon and freedesktop bugzilla. The
problems with GL I had was due to composition enabled in metacity (or in
fact any composition - it's not metacity bug - kwin/compiz would do the
same). The solution is KMS/DRI2, which for radeon just landed as highly
experimental in kernel (and AFAIK are not released yet as drivers for
xorg but will be soon).

Here's starts the steps. In KMS-enabled system as many GTK+ apps redraw
frequently there are many flushes to kernel. As a result it is unusable
on xorg-server 1.6 on my, older, system. gnome-terminal cannot be
scrolled and glxgears have 7-11 FPS instead of normal 200-220 FPS. I was
advised to use xorg-server 1.7 if I'm 'feeling tester-like'. It was
pointed out by someone that on KMS (s)he is using xfce-theme as more
lightweight.

As for sure KMS will improve before 2.6.32 I still feel that introducing
OGL know is a bit too early. Hopefully it is just one kernel release too
early.

Regards