Re: New module proposal: tracker

2009/10/30 Jamie McCracken <jamie mccrack googlemail com>:
>> > The way I see it is if Gnome wants to be in a position to challenge OS/X
>> > and Windows 7 then it needs to make bold decisions. Playing it safe
>> > means it will stagnate and Gnome will miss out on all the cool
>> > technology.
>>
>> This is kinda hyperbole - not really useful. But, hey, did you know that
>> monitor hotplug in GNOME almost works as well as in Windows 95 now? -
>> That is, if your video driver works with your hardware ;-)
>

> Its not hyperbole - if gnome is not going to modernise I have little
> option but to create my own desktop to get a modern sleek desktop.

Jamie, as much as I would like to see Tracker on the desktop myself,
this is not the way to prove the point. Innovation and new cool
features is by no means what drives wider adoption and success;
stability, empowering and caring about ISVs and consistency are way
more important. New stuff is part of the key indeed. But let's
-do-it-because-all-the-kids-on-the-block-are is not an argument most
of us are going to buy.

We should not add features just because they are cool, there are other
criteria that we must follow and we should be careful on how do we add
those features or we'll end up bloating our project. Yes, sometimes we
do exceptions, but you cannot assume that we all understand or are so
excited about tracker as much as you are. So please, keep this
discussion technical, defend Tracker on its own merits and answer the
questions people bring here (this by the way, would help you to
achieve your goal of inclusion).

--
Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz