Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 08:58 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
> On 27/10/09 03:34, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > I am though a little disheartened that they had such a hard time coming
> > up with use cases.  :/
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since posting the initial request a lot has changed. 0.7.0 up to 0.7.4
> versions have been released, we are doing weekly releases now too. After
> some brief talk on IRC, we are considering making stable releases from
> the end of the year or so.
>
> Regarding use cases, this is how it is being used now (0.7.x that is)
>
> Maemo platform (I may have missed some cases):
>
>    * Calendar
>    * Bookmarks
>    * Image Viewer
>    * Media Player
>    * Instant Messaging (I think)
>
> For the desktop:
>
>    * Totem - http://blogs.gnome.org/mr/2009/10/07/tracker-totem/
>    * Evolution
>    * File system (of course)
>    * Applications (desktop files)

I desperately need an indexer for help documents in Yelp.  Yelp
currently has two search backends: one based on Beagle and one
that basically greps everything every time you search.  Beagle
seems dead, and the other backend was never really intended to
be the way forward.

I had hoped to talk to somebody at the Summit about this, but
the right people weren't there.

I get the impression that the focus is more on data storage
than indexing these days.  I respect what the Tracker folks
are trying to do, but I just need a good indexer to enable
full-text search in Yelp.

Would somebody be available to have an IRC meeting with me
about this?

--
Shaun