Re: What does gnome-shell give us?

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 14:38 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 18:56 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
> > wrote:
> >         On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 18:37 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> >         >
> >         > * Actual design for how workspaces behave (We didn't really
> >         have this
> >         > in any consistent way, but now is an opportunity to fix it
> >         right, e.g.
> >         > make moving an application to a workspace a persistent
> >         operation, etc.
> >         > Actually a lot of cool things are enabled when we have an
> >         application
> >         > based system)
> >

> >         Please excuse my ignorance here.  Are you saying that an
> >         application
> >         as a whole (i.e. all of its windows) exists on only one
> >         workspace?
> >         Like the very broken way workspaces behave on OS X?
> >

> > Well...I don't want to dive into design, more note that the
> > possibility exists to improve things given that we have two
> > fundamental improvements in having application tracking, and fixing
> > the split between UI and WM.
>
> All right, I'm not trying to troll here.  But I'm working very
> hard on revamping the user experience in Yelp to keep it more
> focused on the content you're looking at.  Yelp would be very
> broken if it were constrained to a single workspace.  In fact,
> Yelp windows should generally feel more like utility windows
> than a part of the Yelp application.
>
> It's important to me to know design points like this.  I've
> seen precious little communication about this sort of stuff.
> I see whizbang screencasts from time to time, but I haven't
> really seen real dialog about the user experience that we're
> trying to create, especially with respect to how it impacts
> the rest of the desktop.

Hmm. I guess that other applications which should not be
one-workspace-only include at least:
- gedit
- gnome-terminal

In fact I'm not able to think about 1 application which I'd like to have
on one workspace except maybe gimp (but they are fixing it). I prefer
solution one-workspace-per-task and different tasks may involve the same
programs.

I cannot see how it works in practice unfortunately (mutter refuses to
start-up on my hardware).

Regards