Re: Proposing couchdb-glib and evolution-couchdb for GNOME 2.30

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 14:12 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > If there is a local couchdb exepected for the common case then maybe
> > the mozilla js dependency needs a mention.
> >
> it is not required for evo-couchdb to work, so I don't think it needs
> any mention, apart from saying that if you want to run a local
> CouchDB,
> you need to install CouchDB and all its dependencies.

Do you expect anyone to run it against a remote server?  If connected to
a remote server does evo-couchdb support offline operation and replaying
of offline events, or does it fail if you are offline?

I always thought the entire point was that you ran a local couchdb
server so that you could then sync with other servers "in the cloud".
Sure, you can run it against a remote server, but how much will that be
used?

> So it's quite lightweight

$ sudo aptitude install couchdb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
  couchdb erlang-asn1{a} erlang-base{a} erlang-corba{a} erlang-crypto{a} erlang-docbuilder{a}
  erlang-edoc{a} erlang-eunit{a} erlang-ic{a} erlang-inets{a} erlang-inviso{a} erlang-mnesia{a}
  erlang-nox{a} erlang-odbc{a} erlang-os-mon{a} erlang-parsetools{a} erlang-percept{a}
  erlang-public-key{a} erlang-runtime-tools{a} erlang-snmp{a} erlang-ssh{a} erlang-ssl{a}
  erlang-syntax-tools{a} erlang-tools{a} erlang-webtool{a} erlang-xmerl{a} libsctp1{a} lksctp-tools{a}
0 packages upgraded, 28 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 20.2MB of archives. After unpacking 35.6MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

CouchDB on Debian takes up 35MB of disk space.  Not exactly lightweight.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                           www: http://burtonini.com