Re: Branch notifications

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:43 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> >>From http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner
> >
> >   When you branch, please remember to let release-team,
> >   desktop-devel-list, gnome-doc-list, and gnome-i18n know.
> >
> > Since the git migration, we have automatic notifications for
> > any branch using the standard gnome-MAJOR-MINOR scheme.  They
> > go out to release-team, gnome-doc-list, and gnome-i18n.
>
> Could the mail also go to the developer who made the branch, for
> reassurance/confirmation? It's quite conceivable they won't be on any of
> those mailing lists, so will never see the automatic notification
> otherwise.
>
> (I'm on one of those lists, but even then I never noticed an automatic
> notification appearing the last time I branched gnome-themes-- actually,
> I don't see it in the archives, either.)

I think that's a great idea.  I was thinking of adding some language
to the effect of "check the archives to make sure the automatic email
was sent", but really, that's as much of a burden on maintainers as
just sending the email.

The only potential problem is that the emails come from your username
@src.gnome.org.  I know shaunm gnome org gets to my inbox, and I think
shaunm src gnome org does as well.  But do we have proper aliases set
up for everybody who has git access?

--
Shaun