Re: Proposal: "What's new"

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:34 +0100, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 18.11.2009, 10:12 +0100 schrieb Patryk Zawadzki:
> > The idea is to add another option called "What's new" to the Help menu
> > in all GNOME applications. As the name suggest it would contain a
> > Grandma-Readable™ changelog. This means something closer to the
> > release notes than to "Fixed #123, foo shouldn't dereference NULLs in
> > foo::frobnicate()".
> >
> > Goals? Two really. One - to make it easier for users to discover newly
> > introduced features. Two - to make it easier to write GNOME release
> > notes.
>
> Sounds like a nice idea, really. But then I'm facing this question: "How
> do I specify version numbers in a grandma-friendly way?"
>
> Do we expect granny to know about version numbers? Do we write those
> only for major and minor version changes (like six-monthly releases)? Do
> we call the single sections "Changes since Spring 2009" (to avoid
> version numbers)?

Do we really have to show version numbers at all?
All we have to do is list new features in a reverse chronological order
and have some cut-off. This will show new features from this version and
possibly some from older releases (which may be new to the user
depending on how/when he updated).

All the features that are listed are stuff that exists on the users
installed version, so there is no need to specify what version the
feature is. (They are all in "this" version.)