Re: Appearance properties

On 11/10/2009 10:58 PM, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
Le mardi 10 novembre 2009 à 10:18 +0100, Xavier Claessens a écrit :
So if you agree/disagree with those changes, please tell your opinion! I
would like to know if I'm the only one to be worried.
I think the biggest problem in this story is not the change itself but
the way it has been managed.

The change of default configuration has *not* been communicated
properly. It was not secret, of course, but such important change
affecting the whole desktop and each GNOME/GTK+ applications deserves a
better communication. It should be announced on ddl at the beginning of
the cycle, explaining the rational of the change, telling to maintainers
about the new policy regarding icons and how they should make sure that
their application still work fine. A plan should has been defined to
ensure that all the applications (not only the GNOME ones but also the
popular Gtk+ apps used on most GNOME desktop) wouldn't suffer from the
change.
Yes, agreed. I am partly to blame for this, as I was involved in the discussion on the bug from the start, and because it was something the art team [1] (and UI people and hackers too) wanted to see happen. Somewhat I imagined the discussion on the bug report was enough, being quite active as it was, but it's hard to see things from another point of view while you're in the middle of a information flow. I'm terribly sorry for that. Will try to do better next time.
If I was paranoid I'd be tempted to think that this miss-communication
could have been somewhat intentional. If you want to push a
controversial change, it's easier to not talk too much about it before
so once people complain it's too late and they just have to suck it up.
I'm not accusing anyone and really hope that this wasn't the case (as
our code of conduct says we should assume that people mean well), but
you have to understand why some people are upset about the way this
whole thing has been managed.
I must admit that I try to avoid posting too much on this list, as the traffic volume is quite high at points already, but perhaps things can go a bit too silent at times too.

1. Frederic Crozat was curious about who had discussed what at GCDS exactly. The people in the room was me, Hylke Bons, Vinicius Depizzol, Jakub Steiner, Garrett Lesarge, Benjamin Berg and Kalle Persson. We really wanted to see a cleaner desktop experience. It was also mentioned during the big GNOME 3.0 talk, but sorry if I was unclear during the talk. I was really nervous while doing that and can't really remember what was said and not. :/

- Andreas