Re: new dependencies in gvfs

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 10:37 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> I know this is temporary, that sooner or later distro will include
> needed stuff, but in next 6 months the only _stable_ distro
> "certified" to test all GNOME 2.27 features will be Fedora 11.

I fail to see the point: if another distro really wants to be "bleeding
edge" enough to allow development on it then it should ship the bleeding
edge dependencies. it's always been as simple as that.

we're not talking about GNOME components here: we're talking about
system level libraries; it happened with HAL, it happened with D-Bus, it
happened with every low-level system component; JHBuild cannot always
build them because JHBuild is not a distribution tool or a deployment
tool[1].

so you should start packaging DeviceKit for Ubuntu, if you want your
distribution to be a development environment.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

+++

one interesting technical side-point might be using something like Poky
(sans cross-compilation) to build an image to run in qemu; at that point
you can prepare the system, as well as the high-level bits, for you to
develop on.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--