Re: GNOME 3.0 - shell and applets

On 05/29/2009 09:05 AM, Frederic Crozat wrote:
As a side note, another reason developers are currently abusing
notification area is that is it the only cross-desktop
(GNOME/KDE/LXDE/XFCE/IceWM/insert_your_favorite_de_here) way to get
"applets-like" icons on a Xorg system, which also have the nice pro to
not pull something as ugly as bonobo in the loop.

So, if we really want to improve the situation for GNOME 3, we should
also try to solve this cross-desktop "missing" API for applets.

Also the KDE people have developed a new spec for Status Icon that is apparently more versatile, and would love to see it implemented in GNOME.

Hub