Re: GNOME 3.0 - shell and applets

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Gravis <desktop-devel adaptivetime com> wrote:
> It seems to me that there are few warring ideas here about the system
> tray/notification area/status notification area usage.
>
> 1) anything goes
> 2) programs information/icons only
> 3) system information/icons only
>
> Simply put, programs have dominated this area on Gnome and every other
> desktop environment for eons.  The only solution I can think that would
> solve this conundrum is to have two separate "notification area"
> applets.

I agree that there is a difference between programs which are
iconified and actual system status-type icons. I also agree that this
proposal is probably the easiest migration path - basically to move
all the real system stuff somewhere else (which will be new) and leave
the apps in the current place.

One additional suggestion: why not make a new "status icons applet"
which can show either "Iconified Applications" or "System Notification
Icons" or both? That way the user can chose to separate them or chose
to combine them all. They could also show both sets in different
instances of the applet and locate them in different parts of the
panel.