Re: Proposing libgdata as a new desktop module

2009/5/8 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>:
> I think libgdata should be welcome as an optional dependency; having a
> youtube plugin in totem is great, and it doesn’t make totem almost
> useless without youtube. Having iPod support in rhythmbox is essential,
> and it doesn’t make it useless with other MP3 players. But requiring
> something like this? This is frightening.

Not necessarily; I mean (for example) f-spot supports both gallery and
flickr. If there was a library to make this easier on the flickr side,
that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. But of course in that case
there are free alternatives like gallery.

So it is probably important to understand what things this is going to
be used for, and whether there are alternatives for those services;
you can evaluate the protocol on its own but it will inevitably be
incomplete.

Luis