Re: Proposing libgdata as a new desktop module

2009/5/7 Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>

> Hi!
>
> While I certainly agree that accessing Google services is important for
> our desktop I kind of think that it would be a bad signal to include a
> module whose purpose to support a closed-source/non-free service. Or are
> there any free services using the API?

I'm not going to argue this too strongly, since I have no strong
opinions either way and I think the community should decide whether
they want this sort of thing in the desktop set. However, I will point
out that plenty of our modules implement proprietary protocols,
codecs, etc. which are more closed than GData.

There aren't currently any free services using the protocol (and I
can't foresee many appearing any time soon, though it's not beyond
reason), but Google services are mostly free, if not open-source.

Regards,
Philip