Re: Proposing libgdata as a new desktop module

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
> Lets not fall into the lazy trap of pretending that because something
> is no-cost that it is effectively the same as being libre-free (or
> even the same as being pragmatically open.)
>
> Or to put it a different way: feel free to argue for it as a necessary
> evil; that has been and will continue to be the kind of compromise
> that GNOME has to make sometimes. But please don't pretend that
> because it is no-cost that that somehow makes it OK.

Please don't take it as rude but while we sure want to provide a fully
open desktop, our users have to store their data *somewhere*. Be it
Google (Docs, Contacts, Calendar, Picasa), Yahoo (Flickr) or DropBox.
It's not like suddenly gnome.org will start providing all of these
services. To me this case is not much different from allowing
Rhythmbox to talk to iPods - they are proprietary, they require
special handling, they cost you money but a whole lot of people own
one.

--
Patryk Zawadzki