Re: Proposing libchamplain as an external dependancy for GNOME 2.28

> > * It is good to see you have added support for specifying map uri's. I
> > would also like to see you support quadtree encoding, and
> > randomization of hosts. See osm-gps-map for what I mean...
>
> I will have a look, but little code can be shared as osm-gps-map is
> GPL :) but if the method is generic enough method I'll see how to
> reproduce it.

Tell me about it.

osm-gps-map was originally created out of TangoGPS [1]. I forked the
code, made it into a library, and have been improving it ever since.

Unfortunately, the original TangoGPS author, Marcus Bauer, ignores any
emails from me, other osm-gps-map developers, or users, that request
permission to change the license of osm-gps-map to LGPL.

I guess the lesson here is to never create a library, derived from a GPL
project, unless you are sure that the original copy write holders are
open to re-licensing those parts of the code to LGPL, aka mature and
reasonable people.

So good luck with libchamplain, and I am genuinely sorry that I cannot
contribute any code from osm-gps-map to it.

Regards

John

[1] http://www.tangogps.org