Re: git and trailing whitespace

On Wed, May 06, 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I just have these lines in my ~/.emacs:
> (autoload 'nuke-trailing-whitespace "nuke-trailing-whitespace" nil t)
> (add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'nuke-trailing-whitespace)

 This sounds like it would remove all trailing whitespace in any file
 you touch; that sounds like a pretty bad idea for thinks like "blame"
 and will probably generate huge diffs for small changes -- or is this
 only about new code you're writing?

 I use vim and it displays trailing whitespaces as blue dots for me:
  set list
  set listchars=tab:>-,trail:.,extends:>,precedes:<,nbsp:%
 (the relevant config above is "trail:."; I find the other ones useful
 as well)

 The blue dots are not intrusive when I'm actually typing text or
 reading code with trailing whitespace, yet allow me to see the issue
 and fix it.

> And then I don't have to think about anything. Except that it breaks
> my patches for other peoples' project which don't care about trailing
> whitespace.

 These people could use "patch -l" to apply your patches, but then I
 think you shouldn't be stripping all trailing whitespace gratuitously.

--
Loïc Minier