Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

On 31 Mar 2009, at 16:18, Owen Taylor wrote:

What isn't going to be able to run GNOME Shell is really old
hardware ... if you have a Rage128, GNOME Shell isn't going to happen.
But when we are talking legacy hardware of that age, I think a special
purpose environment makes sense. Whether it's XFCE, or metacity +
gnome-panel, or something else.

I guess the other category here is the current generation of thin clients... not 'legacy hardware' by any means, they just aren't really designed for this sort of thing. Yet many people want to (and do) run current versions of GNOME on Sun Rays, for example, and I'd expect those numbers to ramp up once OpenSolaris (or some branch of it that Sun blesses with long-term support) is officially supported by Sun Ray servers.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team