Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

On 03/24/2009 11:30 AM, Xavier Bestel wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 13:53 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 18:33 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:28 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
On 03/24/2009 08:47 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
Using Compiz to create a GNOME desktop using GNOME applications, the
GNOME control-center, and so forth will of course remain possible. We
have no current plans to create hard dependencies on GNOME Shell within
the GNOME desktop (just as there are no hard dependencies on gnome-panel
now.)
Yeah, but I can still use gnome-panel in compiz.  I understand the
reasoning here, and don't have any suggestions or anything, but it's a
bit disappointing that the new desktop experience will be so tied to the
window manager.
Asking to leave all the compiz goodness will be a tough sell :)
What in particular would you miss? We're not looking to take goodness
away from you, we are looking to replace it with better goodness (*).

- Owen

(*) Better here means, in particular, better integrated with GNOME.
Hopefully more concentrated on consistent design and usability. Probably
not quite as pretty, at least initially. Though there's no inherent
reason we can't match Compiz bling for bling; we have access to the same
hardware capabilities and a better programming environment.

Admittedly I never tried gnome-shell. When I first tried compiz, I found
the bling really just that: bling. I used it for a while, then came back
to metacity - oh the horror ! Once you're accustomed to wobbly windows
and workspaces-on-a-cube, there's no going back. The feeling of a
"solid" desktop, with tangible windows is true usability, not just eye
candy. There's more: non-computer-savvy people can't really grasp the
workspace concept with metacity, whereas with compiz's cube (or one of
its variants) it's obvious to them.
Yes, metacity has a compositor. It's better but still far away.

Of course I'm open to other ways to map my mind to the multiple
applications running on my desktop, like most. But if gnome-shell feels
clunky, if it looses the objects-I-can-touch feeling that compiz has,
it's gonna be a tough sell.

I agree completely with Xav. I have come to rely greatly on the Scale plugin (like Expose in OS X).

There are also several animations that are either helpful directly or at least add to that tangibility Xav describes:
* Animations on Window open, close, minimize, and maximize
* Animations on appearance and disappearance of menus
* Animation when moving a window between desktops

I have tried switching to Metacity because I do occasionally experience unrecoverable hangs with Compiz's Scale plugin, but I lose too much productivity.

I am looking forward to trying out gnome-shell soon so I can give more specific feedback.

Sandy