Re: bug-buddy integration

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:42:12 +0100, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Brian Nitz <Brian Nitz sun com> wrote:
Luis Villa wrote:

  - optionally passes bug first to a distribution maintained bug database.
(to filter distro specific bug pollution)

This is the default behavior distros tend to want... which makes it
hard for upstream to do anything useful, since the distros are
historically pretty bad at getting this data upstream. (By 'pretty
bad' I don't think any distro which does this has ever
systematically/programatically moved that data upstream, though I'm
certainly out of touch and may have missed something.)

I am not sure about the current status of this upstream pushing work.
I did intensive triaging work up to the Gnome 2.22.x cycle. I remember Sebastien Bacher
manually pushed quite some downstream (Ubuntu) reports to us, and all
those came with excellent debugging traces. Saw this occassionally from
Gentoo, too. However I do not remember this from any other of the
big distros.

It would be helpful if someone could give us a brief outline of the different
reporting systems distros are currently using. We may want to pick the
best cherries and adopt them. We should do more collaboration here.

--
Christian Kirbach