Re: How to use gtk / C language to change the desktop background picture?

Hi,

the easiest way, I believe, is to set the relative gconf key. You can
see what is by launching "gconf-editor" and navigating
to /desktop/background/picture_filename.

To modify that from C code, have a look at the GConf manual.
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gconf/stable/gconf-GConfClient.html

This won't update ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml, though.

Cheers,
Matteo