FIXME in libgnome-desktop

I hope this is an appropriate message for this list. In
there is a note

483 	 /* FIXME: we may need to be more discriminating in
484 	* what causes 'changed' events
485 	*/

that suggests that this may cause problems. It does, presumably
because Xorg is sending out another update message when screen_update
is being called. This is listed as an Ubuntu bug here: and as a Gnome bug here: There is a patch
I am not competent to say if this is the right solution, but it did
fix my problem.

-J. Method