Re: new dependencies in gvfs

Den den 31 maj 2009 04:53 skrev Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:
> 2009/5/30 BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com>:
>> Many of those
>> packages are not packaged in Ubuntu Intrepid and at least and some of
>> them haven't had any real releases yet.
>
> It builds fine in Fedora 11...

Nice, but let's also get it to build fine in Ubuntu too.

>> There are at least two build bugs related to gdu (583704, 582096).
>
> I'll see if I can get those fixed.

Great! Although the bug about hardcoded /usr path seem to be by design
which means that I won't be able to build it anyway. :(

>> In short, IMHO it is premature to include gdu in jhbuild because the
>> project is not batch buildable which is the point of jhbuild.
>>
>> I also hope that there will more documentation available about gdu
>> before it becomes a blessed external dependency because there is very
>> little of that available atm, especially why HAL is being replaced and
>> what advantages that brings.
>
> Here are some relevant posts
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-April/000140.html
> http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=105

Thanks.

> I don't think it makes much sense to split this library out at the
> source level; distros might of course decide to ship it as a separate
> gnome-disk-utility-libs package (as we do in Fedora).

Unfortunately, not all distros are that wise. Other distros will
decide not to split it or split it differently exacerbating the problem
with figuring out missing dependencies (e.g. pkg-config complains
about missing gnome-disk-utility-libs, what Debian package should you
install?).

--
mvh Björn