Re: how I write GTK+ theme?

2009/1/19 Benjamin Berg <benjamin sipsolutions net>
On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 05:19 +0000, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> I'm trying to get a feel for how hard it would be to write a tool
> similar to the Java Swing theme Napkin:
> http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/

I have thought about writing this like two years ago, but never got
around to actually start it unfortunately.

Getting something basic working should not be that hard to do. But I bet
it can get as complicated as one wants :-)

> I suspect that this can't be done with an existing gtk-engine. Is there
> any documentation around on how to write a GTK+ engine?

That is correct. You won't find much documentation, but you could start
with a look at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes. Other
than that I would suggest looking into the GtkStyle/GtkRcStyle
documentation and heading around to #gnome-art.
I'm completely ignorant with regard to theming, but why can't this be done with a traditional GtkEngine? (Isn't the CSS engine customizable enough to make this work?)

Benjamin