Re: JavaScript engines

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Johan Dahlin <johan gnome org> wrote:
> We need to have this discussion sooner or later, seems like sooner
> is now required as Robert proposed to have Seed included in Gnome.
>
> First of all, I think most of us agrees that it would be a mistake to depend
> on two different JavaScript bindings in GNOME, we need to chose one and
> stick to that one.

Actually, I do disagree. The JavaScript interpreter/JIT wars are just
now heating up and its still way to early to call a winner. 2-3 years
from now, there could be a distinct winner in the JS VM battle and it
would be unfortunate if we picked the wrong horse, so to speak. I
think we need to support bindings for both front-runners. After all,
both implementations run the same language with the same syntax and
they are *both* using the same underlying GObject bindings so the
API's will be the same.

I don't see any harm in using both for the short to medium term.