Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

Hi,

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> What I told
> you was that because the switch does not affect those other people.  Yes, if
> your contributors are NOT committing to GNOME SVN, their opinions doesn't
> matter.  Neither does my mom's opinion matter in this case.  Nothing wrong
> with that.

This is only true if you don't believe that future contributions to the
GNOME base are independent of the RCS we decide to host on gnome.org
(should we decide to host only one).

If you can identify people contributing to GNOME projects outside
gnome.org who would commit directly to gnome.org if their preferred RCS
were available, then there is an opportunity cost to saying that their
opinion doesn't matter - if you don't consider their opinion, they will
never be committing directly to gnome.org (maybe that's OK, maybe it's not).

The question which we could ask in this case is: how many people are
contributing regularly to GNOME projects, and don't have an account on
GNOME SVN? And why don't they?

Another question: what is the cost associated with hosting multiple
DVCSes? I understand of course that most people don't even have one SCM
tool installed on their system. But for those not using a DVCS, moving
from 0 to 1 is the big move, and I am not sure that there is a huge cost
to having both git and bzr hosting on gnome.org, for official GNOME
projects (especially if those who want to use a git client for
bzr-hosted projects may do so).

<snip>

> Yeah, whatever.  I can't care less about what you prefer because you are
> already using it and are happy about it.  Keep your personal feelings out of
> this thread then and everyone will be the happier.  If others need their
> opinions expressed, I think they should do that themselves.

Behdad - it's disappointing to see you doing the same thing which you
expressed disappointment at this morning. This contributed nothing &
wasn't a very nice reply. Can you follow your own advice & stick to the
topic (which is, as you said, giving input to the people who will be
doing the work - and to my mind, saying that there are GNOME projects
not hosted on gnome.org because of the revision control system is
relevant to that discussion).

Cheers,
Dave.

--