Re: quo vadis, docs

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Dan Winship <danw gnome org> wrote:
Dave Neary wrote:
>> - Should we just ditch the docs and declare the UI self-explanatory ?
>
> Definitely not.

Why not? Seems like no one has ever bothered to file bug reports about
the fact that they're wrong... Maybe there are as few people reading the
docs as there are writing them. In a corporate setting, people will call
their help desk when they have problems, and in a home setting, they'll
either ask a friend/family member, or ask on a forum. (If people RTFMed
first, we wouldn't need an acronym for it.)
This is a moot point unless it can be proven.

If we want to get rid of the docs, we need to run a survey/study first and determine how many people read them.

But it's not so much "declare the UI self-explanatory" as "accept the
fact that a non-self-explanatory UI *with* documentation is not any more
usable than a non-self-explanatory UI *without* documentation".

-- Dan