Re: quo vadis, docs

Hi,

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I did a review of the admin guide a while ago, with similar results.
> Some of these are minor details, but many of the major UI revisions
> date back 2,3,4,5 releases. That leads me to some provokative
> questions:
>
> - If the docs team doesn't have the man power to follow major UI
> changes, why bother with a UI freeze at all ?

Because the day the docs team does have man power, if we don't have one,
it'll be a mess.

> - Are we just waiting for some corporate sponsors to pick up the docs
> where Sun left them many years ago ?

That would be one option, of course - but it's good that you've
identified the issue. The alternative is to recruit some more volunteer
docs people.

> - Should we just ditch the docs and declare the UI self-explanatory ?

Definitely not.

> - Is there anything that can be done, short of transmutating hackers
> into technical writers at next guadec with the help of poisoned beer ?

How about a technical writing workshop, led by Don Scorgie and other
members of the GNOME docs team?

Plus, a prioritisation of documents for pre-release updates.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary