Re: Advice requested on deprecating AT-SPI/CORBA

Le mercredi 02 décembre 2009, à 09:57 -0500, Willie Walker a écrit :
> >>As a potential solution, we can modify the AT-SPI/CORBA *.desktop
> >>file to key off of a new gconf key,
> >>/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba. The existing
> >>/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility key will be used everywhere
> >>else as normal, but this new key will be used to specify whether the
> >>old or new infrastructure should be used.
> >
> >Does this mean that the registryd will start and stay if the value of
> >at-spi-corba is true, but the value of accessibility is false?
>
> No - the /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility should still be the
> gating factor.  /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba will be used
> just to decide which one should be used if
> /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility is True.

Cool!

[... moving to python stuff...]

> Yep - it's a big hack.  The idea is that it should be an interim
> solution for the GNOME 2.29.x series only.  The goal is that by
> GNOME 2.30, we can dump the CORBA solution completely.

Good to know! Although, hrm, wouldn't gnome-mag and gok still need it?
(sorry if you have to explain to me the same thing again and again :/)

> I tried monkeying around with ways to isolate this to just a pyatspi
> solution. The idea I was chasing would be that the CORBA solution
> would be installed under pyatspi-corba and the D-Bus solution would
> be installed under pyatspi-dbus.  There would be some sort of
> 'pyatspi' shim module that would effectively do a "import
> pyatspi-dbus as pyatspi" or "import pyatspi-corba as pyatspi" based
> upon the gconf setting. My Python chops weren't strong enough to
> figure that out.  Any thoughts on this?

Hrm, what about first checking if we're running in a X session? This is
still a hack, but it at least removes the gconftool-2 call in many cases
where we wouldn't want this to happen.

Something like:

import commands, os, sys; os.environ.has_key('DISPLAY') and (commands.getoutput('gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba') == 'true') and sys.path.insert(0, '@prefix@/lib/python PYTHON_VERSION@/site-packages/pyatspi-corba')

I'm sure some python heroes could find a non-hacky solution ;-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.