Re: Signalling when the desktop is loaded

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 00:15 +0400, Alexey Rusakov wrote:

> What if I don't run Nautilus at the start of the session (don't use it
> to draw the desktop)?

Isn't that one of the definitions of what a running GNOME Desktop is?

This isn't trolling, by the way. I ran into this a few weeks ago; we
have some unit tests that among other things rely on Nautilus running,
because it's supposed to be running because it's what GNOME uses to draw
it's desktop, yo.

I was astonished — and not supportive in the slightest — to discover
that Nautilus isn't compulsory just as gnome-session and gnome-panel and
many other things are. [Apparently Canonical has pulled a stunt with
their Netbook Remix and don't have Nautilus running full time {sigh}] So
the tests failed for that person. Grr.

++

I realize that there are lots of opinions about this, but the term
"GNOME Desktop" should mean something. I don't particularly care what,
but it'd be nice to be able to target it. Not "platform" (sic), and not
even "desktop" [as in package set]. Maybe "GNOME runtime" is what I'm
grasping to articulate.

I recall that years ago Dave Neary had ideas about a certification
saying "this is a compliant GNOME desktop application"; perhaps we
should go further and say "this is what a compliant GNOME running
configuration is". Which would, incidentally, give us the ability to
probe and test for it. Yeay DBus, presumably. Not to mention restoring
some concept of GNOME branding & identity to people in the world outside
this list.

Doesn't mean taking choice away, but jeesh I'm tired of people not
running GNOME telling GNOME what to do.

++

We left the tests in.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London