Re: Signalling when the desktop is loaded

2009/8/11 Alexey Rusakov <ktirf altlinux org>:
> В Втр, 11/08/2009 в 11:55 -0500, Cody Russell пишет:
>> So I was talking briefly to vuntz in irc yesterday about wanting to have
>> some kind of mechanism to find out when the desktop session is ready
>> (ie, not once Nautilus and panel are launched, but when they are
>> actually pretty usable and done loading stuff).
>>
>> In terms of the panel, vuntz suggested maybe adding a signal in
>> panel_applet_queue_initial_unhide_toplevels() under org.gnome.Panel.
>>
>> In Nautilus there is FMDesktopIconView "end_loading" signal that seems
>> to work well.
> What if I don't run Nautilus at the start of the session (don't use it
> to draw the desktop)? I mean /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
> GConf key.

See below...

>> It would be nice to have a single signal that could be emitted once both
>> of these are finished, so I wanted to post here and see what others
>> think and get suggestions on where this might be done.

Maybe add a startup inhibit-like semaphore on the session interface so
apps like panel and nautilus can get a lock on start and release it
when they are done. Other apps would just wait for the "no more
lockers" signal on the session interface.

Bonus: we could share this interface with other freedesktop members.

--
Patryk Zawadzki