Re: On autogenerated ChangeLog

On 04/20/2009 09:02 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 12:48 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 21:54 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Hey,

I first wrote Makefile.am magic for Pango to generate ChangeLog from git on
demand.  Those macros have been modified and gathered in
http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog to only generate ChangeLog for "make
dist".  I wonder what people actually want to have, so I can work on canonical
macros to copy across projects (and eventually find a better way to
distribute).  Pros and cons:
I tweaked this macro a bit for gvfs and nautilus:

Here is what I use:
git log --stat -M -C --name-status --date=short --no-color | fmt --split-only

Its uses less space and is imho just as useful for causual offline use.
And if you want more there is git anyway.

I like the more verbose format clearly showing which changes are big and which are small.

Could we get the ChangeLog generation added as a macro to gnome-common?

That would make it easier, and more consistent. We should also use
--since or --after so as to avoid duplicating data that's in the other
ChangeLogs.

That's basically why I'm trying to figure out how we want it to work.

behdad

Cheers