Re: dconf

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 17:11 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 10 avril 2009 à 15:15 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> > Just a stupid question... Why should we switch to GSettings? Ie, what
> > does it bring us that we can't do with gconf?
> >
> > So far, I heard a performance argument. Anything else?
>
> Getting rid of the ORBit dependency?
>
> > (if GSettings goes in glib, then things will obviously be different
> > since it will consolidate our stack)
>
> That would mean making glib depend on D-Bus, unfortunately.

I would imagine it being a compile time option with Gsettings falling
back to simple text files if neither dbus nor dconf were present

we badly need a configuration facility in glib so all glib apps can use
it much like gio does to gnome-vfs. That in itself is a good enough
reason for the change

jamie