Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
> You are missing the remote desktop scenario here. This is not only a
> matter of working on old hardware, being able to run gnome smoothly on
> a thin client solution through XDM, or VNC, or whatever is also
> needed.

VNC is not an issue--it works regardless of the compositor/WM running.
Speaking as a former LTSP admin/slave/developer, remote X11 is
*always* a non-starter regardless of whether we are talking about 3D
or not. More doesn't work than does. An approach similar to what Dave
Richards is using at City of Largo is actually the right way to do
this: the compositor and a few video-intensive apps run locally on the
hardware. There's no technical reason that Shell couldn't do the same
thing.