Promotion (was Planning for GNOME 3.0)

Vincent Untz wrote:
During the first few months of 2008, a few Release Team members
discussed here and there about the state of GNOME. This was nothing

Wow, long interesting email! I'll limit myself to one area:

 - Promotion of GNOME

This does seems to be lacking. If you go to http://www.gnome.org, you will see NOTHING about WHY an average person would want to use Gnome.

If you click on http://www.gnome.org/about, you'll find a list of noble attributes of Gnome, but that page really is 100% excitement-free. It looks like it was typed into a wiki by an engineer. Which I'm sure it was...

Could I suggest that "someone" (yes, I can help) develop a few key "Gnome is" concepts and illustrate them with memorable graphics (sorry, I can't help beyond stick figures). They should be things that appeal to the mythical grandma user. Like:

"Gnome - Don't Need No Stinkin' Anti-Virus Software!"
"Gnome - Free Software - Why Pay More?"
"Gnome - In Your Language!"
"Gnome - Where the Code Isn't Secret!"

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure better ones could be developed.

I don't see anything on gnome.org promoting Gnome's security. This would be especially compelling in the age of conficker! Us coders know that gnome isn't perfect either, but it really is a million times better than that other OS...

Also: Every computer seems to come with a "Designed for Windows" sticker. Can the Foundation promote Gnome logo stickers with those manufacturers who do offer pre-installed linux/gnome?

- Mike