Re: Testing dark themes and marking deprecated widgets

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:02 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>:
> > Le mardi 30 septembre 2008, à 12:31 +0200, Benjamin Berg a écrit :
> [snip]
> >> Do you think that exposing deprecated widgets and theme related bugs
> >> like this is a good idea?
> >
> > I like the idea. But I would guess distros would patch this out :/ Maybe
> > we can do some opt-in thing, with a gconf key or a file somewhere in
> > $HOME that would enable this kind of stuff so that users of distros can
> > still participate in this kind of testing if they want?
>
> +1 from me for the idea. If I understood correctly it would only be a
> theme switch, so I don't think you'd need too elaborate opt-out
> mechanism for that.
>
> It would be great if this would result in a slew of "xxx has a
> deprecated widget in yyy"-bugs which would be fixed by a herd of
> enthusiastic gnome-love bug fixers and maintainers. After all, there's
> going to be a push for cutting the deprecated stuff soon enough
> anyway, so it would be good to get a head start on that...

More likely it will result in a bunch of "New Gnome theme
is ugly" bug reports by people who, well, just don't know.

I think it would be better to accompany unstable releases
with a simple application ("Beta Buddy"?  hah!) that can
switch settings en masse to one of a predetermined set of
things that are useful.

  ( ) Restore my original settings
  ( ) High Contrast
  ( ) High Contrast Inverse
  ( ) Low Contrast
  ( ) Highlight Deprecated Widgets
  ( ) Default Gnome
  ( ) Documentation Settings

These could affect more than just the theme, if necessary.
For instance, for the documentation settings, we'd want to
set font faces and sizes.  (It would also be nice to have
a no-focus-rectangle theme for documentation, since it's
just a distraction in screenshots.)

--
Shaun