Re: Testing dark themes and marking deprecated widgets

Le mardi 30 septembre 2008, à 12:31 +0200, Benjamin Berg a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> There have been ideas to improve the desktop by modifying the themes to
> show problems in application. Specifically I am proposing to use a dark
> colour scheme for Clearlooks during the next unstable release cycle.
> Another idea is to highlight deprecated widgets in applications, by
> changing their colour to be eg. some shade of red.
>
> By using a dark colour scheme problems with applications that are using
> the wrong colours for text can be exposed. Turning Clearlooks to a dark
> colour scheme would mean that a lot more applications can be tested and
> both the application and the themes can be fixed.
>
> The idea to change the colour of deprecated widgets is to expose any
> application that is still using them. This would hopefully encourage
> maintainers and others to write patches and port applications to use
> non-deprecated widgets.
>
> Both of these changes would be reverted in time for the first beta
> release of GNOME (due on February 4th). If this is implemented, we would
> probably also have a "Clearlooks Stable" theme, so that it is still
> possible to use the normal Clearlooks theme for eg. documentation
> purposes.
>

> Do you think that exposing deprecated widgets and theme related bugs
> like this is a good idea?

I like the idea. But I would guess distros would patch this out :/ Maybe
we can do some opt-in thing, with a gconf key or a file somewhere in
$HOME that would enable this kind of stuff so that users of distros can
still participate in this kind of testing if they want?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.